- "I'm fairly careful about the tailoring,I usually take my suits back to the shop at least half a dozen times—too much shoulder or too loose or too tight. What I dislike is wearing a lot of material, I don't see any reason to carry all that extra cloth about."
- "I just don't like a suit to stand out. I don't want someone looking twice at me and saying in an incredulous tone: 'What was that?'
- "The coat should be just long enough to cover the rear"
- "......I dress for myself and to feel relaxed."
- “I often take a brand-new suit or hat and throw it up against the wall a few times to get that stiff, square newness out of it.” (quote found here)